India-Mauritius Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated World Hindi Secretariat building in Port Louis, Mauritius. He also launched secretariat’s logo, an Early Digital Learning Programme as well unveiled foundation stones of social housing project and large ENT hospital being built with Indian assistance.
President Kovind visited Mauritius as part of first leg to his two-nation state visit (Mauritius and Madagascar). Later he will visit Madagascar, making him first Indian President to visit largest African island country.
World Hindi Secretariat
- The Secretariat is fully financed by Government of India and provided grant of Rs. 33 crore. Land for it was given by Government of Mauritius. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had laid the foundation stone of this building during his visit in 2015.
- The aim of secretariat is to present Hindi as common man’s language, Janbhasha, in front of the world. Hindi as language has played an important role in culture and society building in both India and Mauritius. Indian diaspora in Mauritius has played a huge role in the spread of Hindi.
India and Mauritius have signed four agreements after delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Kumar Jugnauth in New Delhi. Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth has chosen India as a destination of his first visit since taking over as prime minister of Mauritius early this year.
India has extended a 500 million dollar line of credit to Mauritius. The Line of Credit has been signed between SBM Mauritius Infrastructure Development Co. Ltd and Export-Import Bank of India.
Further, both the countries have agreed that effective management of conventional and non-conventional threats in Indian Ocean is sine qua non for pursuing economic opportunities. India and Mauritius agreed to keep a vigil against piracy, humans and drugs trafficking as well as illegal fishing and other forms of illegal exploitation of marine resources.
India had also appreciated Mauritius for signing and ratification of the framework agreement on International Solar Alliance.
Both the countries have also agreed to cooperate hydrography for a secure and peaceful maritime domain. India is also supporting the National Coast Guard of Mauritius to augment its capacity through Project Trident. India will also renew the life of the Coast Guard Ship Guardian, which was given to Mauritius under an assistance programme.
- Agreement on Maritime Security
- Memorandum of understanding (MoU) for setting up of a civil services college in Mauritius.
- MoU was signed between the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Mauritius Oceanography Institute in marine sciences and technology.
- Submission of instrument of ratification of International Solar Alliance (ISA) by Mauritius.