India-Mauritius Current Affairs - 2020
India and Mauritius have signed four agreements after delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Kumar Jugnauth in New Delhi. Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth has chosen India as a destination of his first visit since taking over as prime minister of Mauritius early this year.
India has extended a 500 million dollar line of credit to Mauritius. The Line of Credit has been signed between SBM Mauritius Infrastructure Development Co. Ltd and Export-Import Bank of India.
Further, both the countries have agreed that effective management of conventional and non-conventional threats in Indian Ocean is sine qua non for pursuing economic opportunities. India and Mauritius agreed to keep a vigil against piracy, humans and drugs trafficking as well as illegal fishing and other forms of illegal exploitation of marine resources.
India had also appreciated Mauritius for signing and ratification of the framework agreement on International Solar Alliance.
Both the countries have also agreed to cooperate hydrography for a secure and peaceful maritime domain. India is also supporting the National Coast Guard of Mauritius to augment its capacity through Project Trident. India will also renew the life of the Coast Guard Ship Guardian, which was given to Mauritius under an assistance programme.
- Agreement on Maritime Security
- Memorandum of understanding (MoU) for setting up of a civil services college in Mauritius.
- MoU was signed between the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Mauritius Oceanography Institute in marine sciences and technology.
- Submission of instrument of ratification of International Solar Alliance (ISA) by Mauritius.
Tags: India-International Relations • India-Mauritius • International
Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and Mauritius in the field of Rural Development and Poverty Alleviation
The Union Cabinet has approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Mauritius in the field of Rural Development and Poverty Alleviation.
The MoU will encourage cooperation between both countries in the field of rural development and capacity building on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.
- The MoU will help to establish a framework for cooperation between the National Development Unit of Mauritius and Union Ministry of Rural Development in the sphere of rural development.
- Under it, a Joint Committee on Cooperation on Rural Development will be established which will meet alternatively in both countries on mutually agreed dates.
- Both countries will coordinate and facilitate appropriate technical cooperation, including the access to Indian expertise institutions for fulfilling the objectives of this MoU.
- They will also exchange of relevant information in the sphere of rural development, including scientific and technical information together with policies and support measures.
The MoU was signed taking into consideration the institutional arrangement for bilateral cooperation between India and Mauritius in the field of rural development and poverty alleviation. Both countries have a large segment of their population living in rural areas and for their livelihoods are pre-dominantly dependent on agriculture and its allied activities.