India-Nepal Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India and Nepal have inked a deal on procurement of demo train that operates on diesel. The contract agreement was signed between India’s Konkan Railways Corporation Ltd and Nepal’s Department of Railways to supply two 1600 HP Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) train sets.
- It was signed in Kathmandu in presence of Manjeev Puri, Indian Ambassador to Nepal and Madhusudan Adhikari, Nepal’s Secretary, Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport.
- According to agreement, Nepal will procure two diesel-operated trains, which will arrive in Nepal within five months.
- Manufacturer: The trains will be manufactured by Integrated Coach Factory (owned and operated by Indian Railways) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Attachments: Each train set will comprise of three trailer cars with one air conditioned, one driving power car and one driving trailer car with standard accessories.
- Route Undertaken: These trains will be used to operationalise 34 km long railway corridor stretch which links Jayanagar in Bihar, India and Kurtha in Dhanusa district, Nepal.
- The 34 kms Jayanagar-Kurtha Railway Link was built by IRCON (Ircon International Limited, a construction and engineering PSU in transport infrastructure) with a financial grant from Indian Government under India-Nepal Development Partnership programme.
India has extended a financial grant of 35.5 million Nepalese rupees for the construction of an educational campus in Nepal under the Development Partnership Programme.
Development Partnership Programme
The Development Partnership Programme is administered by the Development Administration Partnership division in the Ministry of External Affairs.
India has a long history as a provider of development assistance and over the years and India’s development assistance has started to cover a large number of countries over the last few years. Hence for streamlining the delivery of assistance and improving the effectiveness of such efforts Development Administration Partnership was established in January 2012.
India’s provides development assistance in one of three forms:
- Grant assistance.
- Lines of credit.
Development Administration Partnership under the Ministry of External Affairs aims to provide for effective and efficient handling of all aid projects from the stages of concept, launch, execution and completion for the efficient implementation of projects, in close cooperation and facilitation of the partner countries.