India-OIC Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has voiced its concern over alleged excesses of the Indian military and the paramilitary forces in Kashmir.
This issued had surfaced after former Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai had “appreciated” Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s statement on human rights situation in Pakistan’s Balochistan province.
- OCI Secretary General of OIC Iyad Amin Madani had quoted that the organisation will continue to expose human rights excesses in the Kashmir Valley.
- It will support to Pakistan till the issue is resolved in accordance with the United Nations resolutions and wishes of the people of Kashmir.
- OIC’s these comments and support to Pakistan is bound to rile India as it is not for the first that the OIC has spoken about the Kashmir issue against India.
What is Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)?
- The OIC is an international organization founded in 1969.
- Members: It consists of 57 member states including Iran and Pakistan.
- Administrative centre (headquarters): Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- Objective: (i) Raise the collective voice of the Muslim world. (ii) Collectively work to safeguard and protect the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony.
- OIC has permanent delegations to United Nations and the European Union.
- Issues with India: In this organisation, India is a blocked country, though it has about 12% of the world’s Muslim population.
- India has been blocked by Pakistan from joining the OIC over Kashmir issue. OIC regard parts of Kashmir as “occupied by India”.