India-Pakistan Current Affairs - 2020
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh announced that India-Pakistan border will be completely sealed by December 2018.
Announcement in this regard was made after Union Home Minister held meeting of representatives of 4 states sharing border with Pakistan in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
- Central government has formulated time-bound action plan to completely seal the entire stretch of 3,323-km-long border between the two countries.
- The process of sealing border will be monitored at Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) level, Border Security Force (BSF) level and chief secretary of states level.
- Besides, a new concept of Border Security Grid (BSG) has been envisaged, in which all the stake holders related to border security are involved. Based on their suggestions, a final shape to BSG will be given.
- India-Pakistan share 3,323-km-long border which is termed as International Border. Border between both countries was created based upon the Radcliffe line in 1947.
- 4 states share this international border with Pakistan. Of this 1,225 km falls in Jammu and Kashmir (including Line of Control), 1,037 km in Rajasthan, 553 km in Punjab and 508 km in Gujarat.
- The Border Security Force (BSF) controls security of the 2,308 km-long border with Pakistan from Gujarat to Jammu and Kashmir.
- In Jammu, 192 km of International Border, referred to as a working boundary by Pakistan, is manned by the BSF, while the remaining 8 km is secured by the Indian Army.
- The 740 km Line of Control (LoC), running along Kashmir and separating Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) is entirely secured by the Army.
Tags: India-Pakistan • Internal Security • International Border • National
Indian Army has successfully conducted surgical strikes on terror launch pads across the Line of Control () in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (PoK) i.e. along India’s de-facto border with Pakistan.
The surgical strikes were India’s first direct military response to attack on Uri army base by Pakistan-based militants that had killed 18 Indian soldiers.
The motive of the operation was to hit out at the terrorists who were planning to infiltrate into the Indian territory. During the operation, significant casualty was caused to terrorists .
The cross-border action comes India reviewed Indus Waters Treaty with Pakistan and pulled out of the regional SAARC Summit that was scheduled to be held in Islamabad, Pakistan as part of a wider diplomatic offensive to isolate Pakistan.
What is surgical strike?
Surgical strike is a military attack which is intended to only damage to the intended legitimate military target and no or minimal collateral damage to surrounding structures, general public infrastructure, vehicles, buildings and utilities.
Tags: Defence • India-Pakistan • Indian Army • LoC • National