India-Philippines Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Brahmos missile is considered as one of the fastest supersonic missiles. Philippines army is acquiring Indian-manufactured weapon in order to strengthen its coastal defences. In 2018, Indian PM Modi signed 4 bilateral agreements during his visit to Philippines, and acquiring Brahmos is one among them.
- The acquisition proves that India’s Act East Policy is being strengthened.
- India’s bilateral relation with the South Asian Countries and also with Philippines has diversified
- It will also help achieve India’s defence exports target of Rs 35,000 crore in the next 5 years.
The Brahmos is a medium range cruise missile that can be launched from submarine, aircraft, ships and land. It is the fastest supersonic missile in the world. The design of the missile was a joint venture between Russian federation and India’s DRDO. The name of Brahmos is formed from the names of two rivers Brahmaputra in India and Moskva in Russia.
In 2016, India became a part of Missile Technology Control Regime after which India and Russia are now planning to develop a new generation of Brahmos missile with a target range of 500-km.
Tags: Act East Policy • BrahMos • BrahMos missile • Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) • India-Philippines
On 19 October, 2019, the 4th India-ASEAN Business summit and the India-Philippines Business Conclave was organized. President Ram Nath Kovind who is on a 7-day official visit to Philippine and Japan addressed the summit.
Highlights of the address
- ASEAN-India trade relations are important for India to achieve its Act East Policy. The ASEAN-India trade increased by 19% in 2018 reaching 96.79 billion USD. India targets to increase the trade to 200 billion USD by 2022.
- The Indian investment in Philippines has grown especially in concrete projects like LNG pipelines, waste management solutions and airport terminals
- The major gain between India and Philippines relations has been in IT-BPO sector. Leading Indian IT companies have created job opportunities in Manila by setting up enterprises.
- The “Make in India” infrastructure program of India and “Build, Build, Build” infrastructure initiative of India have immense opportunities.