India Post Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India Post released a special stamp cover on Ice Stupa in Leh at an event in the presence of Himalayan Institute of Alternatives Ladakh founder Sonam Wangchuk who spearheaded the Ice Stupa initiative.
- Ice Stupas refer to the artificial glaciers which freeze and hold the water that keeps flowing and wasting away down the streams and into the rivers throughout the winter.
- Instead, the water from these artificial glaciers melt in the springtime, just when the fields need
- Leh lies in the cold desert region and most villages in the region face acute water shortage, particularly during the two crucial months of April and May when there is little water in the streams whereas in June there is an excess of water and even flash flooding due to the fast melting of the snow and glaciers in the mountains.
- By September all farming activities end and yet a smaller stream flow throughout the winter steadily but wastefully going into the Indus river without being of use to anybody.
- Hence the idea of ice stupa from artificial glaciers which store this wasting winter water in the form of ice mountains that melt and feed the farms when water is most needed by the farmers was initiated.
Ice Stupas are aimed at reducing water crisis in the region and also to convey a message to the world that how the Mountain people are forced to do such innovative ideas to solve the water crises, Ice Stupas also sends a message to all the people who live in big cities to not use resources in such a way that it creates problem for mountain people.
India Post has started internet facility of the customers of Post office savings bank account. The facility was launched by Union Minister for Communication (independent charge) Manoj Sinha at National Media Centre, New Delhi. Revamped version of Indian Post website and e-commerce portal for rural artisans were also launched at event.
Facilities available to Customers
- Customers can transfer funds online from one Post office Saving Bank Account to other.
- E-Commerce portal provide an online market to rural artisans and Public Sector Units where they can sell their products.
- Indian Post Service provide a vast network for delivery of products over 1.5 lakh places.
- Speed post service will deliver the products to the destination.
- The online market provides return policy to the customers.
- The Department of Post provides registration of sellers free of cost for the first six months.
India Post a central postal system of was founded on 1st April 1854. It works under the Ministry of Communication of the Government of India. The postal system of India is one of the widely distributed networks in the world. India is divided into 23 postal circles headed by Chief Postmaster. Indian Post providing its services in Philately, Army Postal Service, Electronic Indian Postal Order, Postal Life Insurance, Postal Savings, Banking, Data collection, e-commerce, and Railways. Postage stamps are PIN codes are used to identify the location for post.
Stamps are used for postage and for services. There are variety of stamps produced in India with different themes. The first stamp in Asia were issued in India in July 1852 by Bartle Frere.
Postal Index Number is a 6-digit code of post office introduced on 15th August 1972. Out of total 9 PIN regions, eight PIN denoted geographical regions and one is reserved for Army Postal Service.