India Post Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Department of Posts under Union Ministry of Communications has announced commencing of International Speed Post (EMS) Service to six new foreign destinations in Asia, Europe and South America.
India Post has expanded speed post service to 6 new foreign destinations namely Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Ecuador, Kazakhstan, Lithuania and North Macedonia. The Express Mail Service (EMS) to these 6 countries will henceforth be available at major post offices across India.
India Post currently provides speed post service to nearly 100 countries, as per the information available on its website.
What is Express Mail Service?
EMS is a premium service that enables its users to send documents as well as merchandise faster. It also provides added facility of being able to track movement of the item on internet.
This facility is expected to increase people to people contact with newly added 6 countries and foster trade as EMS is popular channel for small and medium enterprises.
Tags: Department of Posts • Express Mail Service • Foreign Countries • India Post • Speed Post Service
India Post released a special stamp cover on Ice Stupa in Leh at an event in the presence of Himalayan Institute of Alternatives Ladakh founder Sonam Wangchuk who spearheaded the Ice Stupa initiative.
- Ice Stupas refer to the artificial glaciers which freeze and hold the water that keeps flowing and wasting away down the streams and into the rivers throughout the winter.
- Instead, the water from these artificial glaciers melt in the springtime, just when the fields need
- Leh lies in the cold desert region and most villages in the region face acute water shortage, particularly during the two crucial months of April and May when there is little water in the streams whereas in June there is an excess of water and even flash flooding due to the fast melting of the snow and glaciers in the mountains.
- By September all farming activities end and yet a smaller stream flow throughout the winter steadily but wastefully going into the Indus river without being of use to anybody.
- Hence the idea of ice stupa from artificial glaciers which store this wasting winter water in the form of ice mountains that melt and feed the farms when water is most needed by the farmers was initiated.
Ice Stupas are aimed at reducing water crisis in the region and also to convey a message to the world that how the Mountain people are forced to do such innovative ideas to solve the water crises, Ice Stupas also sends a message to all the people who live in big cities to not use resources in such a way that it creates problem for mountain people.