India-Russia Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Indian Army’s Eastern Command Unit successfully test-fired a BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from Car Nicobar Islands on 22 May 2019.
- Background: On same day of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile test firing, Indian Air Force (IAF) had also successfully tested aerial launched version of the BrahMos missile from a Sukhoi-30 combat aircraft.
- Coordination: The test firing of BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile involved coordination between large number of agencies for successful and smooth conduct of firing. It was a cohesive effort of all three defence services India namely, Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force (IAF). Thus the launch of BrahMos missile demonstrated high standards of Inter Service Synergy.
- Significance: The combat missile was test fired on a specially designed target chosen at a range of 270 Kms. This precision hitting of target validated deep penetration capability of supersonic cruise missile and accurate engagement of targets in depth.
- Importance: With its impeccable multi role and multi platform launch capabilities, BrahMos missile has now established itself as a major ‘Force Multiplier‘ in modern day battlefield thus furthering confidence amongst our troops
About BrahMos Cruise Missile
- It is a joint collaboration product of India and Russia.
- It is 2.5 tonne air-to-surface cruise missile with range of around 300 km.
- It will significantly enhance IAF’s combat capability.
- It travels at a speed of Mach 2.8, (nearly three times that of sound).
Russia has awarded PM Narendra Modi with ‘Order of St Andrew the Apostle’ to PM Narendra Modi for promoting the bilateral special and privileged strategic partnership.
The statement by the Russian Government has stated that Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi was decorated with the Order of St Andrew the Apostle – the highest state decoration of Russia – for exceptional services in promoting special and privileged strategic partnership between the Russian Federation and the Republic of India and friendly relations between the Russian and Indian peoples.
Order of St Andrew the Apostle
Order of St Andrew the Apostle is awarded to prominent statesmen and public figures and representatives of science, culture, the arts and various industries for their exceptional services in promoting the prosperity, greatness and glory of Russia. It is both the highest and the oldest state decoration of Russia established in the 17th century by Peter the Great around 1699.
Russia also bestows Order of St Andrew the Apostle to foreign heads of state for outstanding services to Russia. The list of the foreign awardees includes President of China Xi Jinping, the former President of the Republic of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev, the former President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Geydar Aliev.
PM Modi was previously been awarded the United Arab Emirates’s top honour as well as from countries including South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Palestine and Afghanistan.