India-SCO Current Affairs - 2020
The Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh addressed the Council of Heads of Government of SCO at Tashkent in Uzbekistan. He represented as a Special Envoy of PM Modi at the conference. During the meet, it was decided that the next meeting of Council of Heads of Government in 2020 is to be conducted in India
- The military exercise “CENTER 2019”, SCO joint military exercise that was held by Russia was congratulated at the summit. 20,000 units of military equipment, 128,000 soldiers and 600 aircraft participated in the event. The military chiefs from China, Kazakhstan, India, Kyrgystan, Uzbekistan, Pakistan and Tajikistan participated in the event.
- India called upon the member countries to strengthen and implement existing international laws and mechanisms to combat terrorism.
- India listed its recent initiatives to provide an enabling economic ecosystem for partner countries to invest and do business in India. It includes allowing 100% foreign investment in coal mining, easing sourcing norms for single brand retailers, approving 26% overseas investment in digital media, etc
- India also announced that it is ready to share its experience and expertise in skill development, tele medicine, resource mapping, launching satellites, affordable pharmaceuticals, hospitality, tourism, finance, etc.
Tags: Defence Ministry • Foreign Investment • India-SCO • Joint Military Exercise • SCO
Defence Minister Raj Nath Singh is to attend key meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) at Tashkent, Uzbekistan. He will also participate in bilateral engagements with the Uzbekistan Government.
The Minister is to represent India in the meeting of Council of Heads of Government (CHG) of SCO at Tashkent. The Council meets to discuss on multilateral economic cooperation in the SCO region.
Highlights of the visit
- The Minister will sign bilateral agreements and hold a meeting with his Uzbekistan Counterpart. It is to be noted that the first ever India-Uzbekistan bilateral military exercise “Dostlik 2019” is to begin between November 4 and November 13, 2019.
- The meeting is the third CHG meeting that is being attended by India after it became a member of SCO. The last two meeting were held in 2017 at Sochi, Russia and in 2018 at Dushanbe in Tajikistan.
Council of Heads of Government
The CHG is the second highest decision-making body in the SCO. The Indian representative of the CHG is PM Modi.
The Council of Heads of the State is the top decision-making body in the SCO. It meets during the SCO summits that are held once in a year. President Ram Nath Kovind represents India at the Council.
Tags: Defence • Defence Minister • India-SCO • India-Uzbekistan • Pm Modi