India Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The ‘Team Caeli’ from India comprising of three Indian students namely Bharat Sundal, Aakash Bhadana and Vasu Kaushik emerged as First Runner-up (second position) in Microsoft’s Imagine Cup World Championship final held in Seattle, US. The trio won for developing “Caeli”, which is world’s first smart automated anti-pollution and drug delivery mask.
- It is precisely designed for asthmatic and chronic respiratory patients.
- Features: It is a sleek, portable, easy to fit/carry inside pocket nebulizer and customized mask. Its drug doses can be scheduled through app.
- In case of breathing difficulties, app allows user to switch on intelligent mode which provides instant relief drugs. App also monitors real-time air quality and helps people to choose least polluted travel route.
- For this innovation team has earlier won first position in Asia Regional Final contest held in Sydney in February 2019.
About Microsoft’s Imagine Cup World Championship
- It is held every year to celebrate top student teams that bring and compete with their biggest, boldest ideas to life.
- To competing on a global stage for World Champion title, each participant team has to create an original technology project from scratch to finish while.
- Winner for 2019 was Team EasyGlucose from United States won. They won for their Deep Learning non-invasive blood glucose level monitor.
At 11th Arctic Council ministerial meeting held at Rovaniemi in Finland, India was re-elected as an observer to intergovernmental forum Arctic Council. India promised its commitment towards contributing more to Arctic Council.
About 11th Arctic Council
Major issues discussed at the Council meeting:
- With growing tensions worldwide, how to deal with global warming and jurisdiction of Arctic’s wealth of minerals.
- Concerns over renewed climate policies of US President Donald Trump.
- China’s (an observing nation in Arctic Council) “Polar Silk Road” plan (as melting ice has opened up new northern shipping routes), which it outlined in 2018.
- Russia’s Northern Fleet modernization and reopened Cold War military bases.
About Arctic Council
- It was established in 1996 by Ottawa Declaration.
- Headquarter: Tromso, in Norway.
- Members (8): Russia, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark (representing Greenland and Faroe Islands), Canada and United States.
- Iceland currently holds council’s rotating chair.
- Representation: by Indigenous groups and council also has 13 observer states (are non-Arctic countries invited to council meetings but have no voting rights).
- Function: It is a high level intergovernmental forum which addresses issues faced by Arctic states, its indigenous people and its other inhabitants. It seeks to promote coordination, cooperation and interaction among them on common issues but mainly on environmental protection and sustainable development in Arctic.
India and Arctic Region
- Indian researchers have been studying whether there is a co-relation between Indian monsoon and the Arctic region.
- National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research, an Indian institute under Ministry of Earth Sciences, has set up research station, ‘Himadri’, in Svalbard (Norway). It studies and works on mass balance of glaciers, effect of climate warming on marine system, clouds formation and precipitation, and also effect on biodiversity.
Tags: 11th Arctic Council ministerial meeting • Arctic Council • Canada and United States • Denmark • Finland • Iceland • India • Northern Fleet • Norway • Ottawa Declaration • Polar Silk Road • Russia • Sweden