India Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On 2 May 2019 former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman A S Kiran Kumar was awarded France’s highest civilian honour ‘Chevalier de l’Ordre national de la Legion d’Honneur’ (or National Order of the Legion of Honour) by France’s Ambassador to India Alexandre Ziegler on behalf of French President.
- He was awarded for his invaluable contribution in fostering historic and ambitious space cooperation between India and France.
- Throughout his tenure in ISRO office, he worked towards development of India-France ambitious space cooperation.
- He significantly made direct contribution in making space cooperation a cooperation of the people and also one of cornerstones of Indo-French strategic partnership.
Chevalier de l’Ordre national de la Legion d’Honneur
- It was established in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte and retained by all later French governments and regimes.
- It is the highest civilian award conferred by France for outstanding service to nation, irrespective of recipient’s nationality.
- The President of the French Republic is Grand Master of the l’Ordre national de la Legion d’Honneur.
- It is also highest French order of merit conferred for military and civil merits. The order is divided into five degrees. The Order in increasing distinction are namely, Chevalier (Knight), Officier (Officer), Commandeur (Commander), Grand Officier (Grand Officer) and Grand-Croix (Grand Cross).
AS Kiran Kumar
- He served as 9th Chairman ISRO’s from 2015 to 2018. He was succeeded by incumbent K Sivan (former Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Center and Liquid Propulsion centre).
- He has represented ISRO at many international forums namely, World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) and Indo-US Joint Working Group on Civil Space Cooperation.
- He currently serves as chairman of ISRO Committee on Earth Observation Satellites.
- He major significant contributions to Indian space programmes, include designing and developing electro-optical image sensors used in India’s first remote sensing satellite, Bhaskara which was launched in 1979, and credited with ocean colour instruments used in weather forecasting, sea zone and landscape mapping and telecommunications.
- He contributed to design and development of imaging instruments for projects like INSAT–3D, Resourcesat, Micro Satellite and Cartosat.
- He is also credited for his contribution in Terrain Mapping Camera and Hyperspectral Imager payloads of Chandrayaan-1 project.
Tags: AS Kiran Kumar • Cartosat • Chandrayaan 1 • Chevalier de l'Ordre national de la Legion d'Honneur • Earth observation Satellites • France • India • India-France • INSAT–3D • ISRO • Napoleon Bonaparte • Resourcesat • Vikram Sarabhai Space Center • WMO • World Meteorological Organisation
As per Ministry of Water Resources, the water storage level available in 91 major Indian reservoirs for week ending on 2 May 2019 was 40.592 BCM (Billion cubic meters), which is 25% of total storage capacity of these reservoirs. This was at 26% for week ending on April 25, 2019. This shows decline in water storage level by 1%.
As per yearly comparison, level of water storage in week ending on 2 May 2019 was 115% of storage of corresponding period of last year (i.e. May 2018) and 104% of storage of average of last ten years (i.e. May 2009).
- Total storage capacity of these 91 reservoirs is 161.993 BCM which is nearly 63% of estimated total storage capacity of 257.812 BCM created in country.
- 37 out of 91 Reservoirs have hydropower benefit with installed capacity of more than 60 MW.
Storage Status of States (in comparison to corresponding period of 2018)
- States having better storage are Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Gujarat, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- States having equal storage are Odisha and Andhra Pradesh and Telangana combined (AP&TG, Two combined projects in both states).
- States having lesser storage are Rajasthan, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, and Kerala.