Indian Diaspora Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana. The features of the Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana are:
- Under the scheme, a group of Indian diaspora will be taken on a government-sponsored tour of religious places in India twice a year.
- The first batch of 40 people participated in the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019 held in Varanasi.
- Those selected would be taken to religious places of all major religions in India.
- The government will bear all the expenses including the airfare from their country of residence.
- People of Indian-origin aged 45 to 65 can apply can avail the benefits under the scheme.
- The Scheme accords first preference to people from Girmitiya countries such as Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, and Jamaica.
Girmitiya’s are the descendants of indentured Indian labourers brought to Fiji, Mauritius, South Africa, East Africa, the Malay Peninsula, Caribbean and South America (Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Suriname) to work on sugarcane plantations for the prosperity of the European settlers.
The term Girmitiya was coined by the father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi who referred to himself as first Girmitiya. The countries where these indentured Indian labourers settled are known as Girmitiya countries.
Tags: Fiji • Girmitiya • Girmitiya countries • Guyana • Indian Diaspora • Jamaica • Mahatma Gandhi • Mauritius • Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019 • Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana • Prime Minister • Suriname • Trinidad and Tobago
Indian-American Shree Saini has won Miss India Worldwide 2018 title at a pageant held in the Fords City of New Jersey. Sakshi Sinha from Australia and Anusha Sareen from the United Kingdom were respectively declared first and second runner-ups in the competition.
About Miss India Worldwide 2018
The won Miss India Worldwide pageant is organised by the New York-based India Festival Committee (IFC) which is headed by Dharmatma Saran in New York City, USA. It is said to be the oldest and largest event for the Indian Diaspora community. It draws contestants from India and from among members of the Indian Diaspora residing in different countries.
It was the 27th edition of this annual global pageant for people of Indian origin. Girls of Indian-origin from as many as 17 countries participated in this annual beauty pageant. India’s Mandeep Kaur Sandhu, who hails from Haryana, was crowned as Mrs India Worldwide 2018. Jeya Priya Pandian from Malaysia and Kavita Malhotra Pattani from the USA were declared as the first and second runner-ups of the Mrs India Worldwide 2018 respectively. The next edition of the Miss India Worldwide competition will be held in Mumbai in 2019