Indian Ocean Rim Association Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Ministry of External Affairs will be hosting 6th Indian Ocean Dialogue (IOD) and Delhi Dialogue XI at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi on 13 December 2019. This is for the first time that these two dialogues, which are key elements of Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA), and India-ASEAN calendars will be held consecutively and on similar Indo-Pacific themes.
Theme for 2019 Indian Ocean Dialogue is- ‘Indo-Pacific: Re-imagining the Indian Ocean through an Expanded Geography’. The 6th IOD which takes place on 13 December, is being organized with assistance of the Indian Council for World Affairs (ICWA).
Theme for 2019 Delhi Dialogue is- ‘Advancing Partnership in Indo-Pacific’. It is being organized with assistance of Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS), a New Delhi–based autonomous policy research institute. The event will be held from 13-14 December.
Key Highlights of 6th Indian Ocean Dialogue
The IOD is Indian Ocean Rim Association’s (IORA’s) premier 1.5 track forum for dialogue between academia and officials on strategic issues of interest and concerns facing the Association. The member states will hold high-level discussions on IORA role within Indo-Pacific. The summit was preceded by 25th Indian Ocean Rim Academic Group (IORAG) (took place on 12 December).
IORAG explored cooperation and collaboration between academics and experts on promoting Academic, Science and Technology Cooperation which is a key priority under IORA Action Plan (2017-2021).
Importance of Indian Ocean Rim Region
Just like Asia-Pacific to east, this IOR region is among the world’s most vital in terms of energy, global commerce, environmental and geopolitical stability. Almost 50% of world’s container ships and two-thirds of world’s oil shipments pass through this region, which is home to around 2.7 billion people.
Tags: Delhi Dialogue • Delhi Dialogue XI • India-ASEAN • Indian Ocean Dialogue • Indian Ocean Rim Association
The 19th Indian Ocean Rim Association COM (Council of Ministers) meeting was held in Abu Dhabi, UAE on November 7, 2019. Minsters from 22 countries attended the meeting.
The meeting was chaired by UAE. The Chairmanship passes from Republic of South Africa that held the chair between the period 2017-19. For the period of 2019-2021, UAE will hold the chairmanship assisted by Bangladesh.
- The meeting was preceded by 21st Committee of Senior Officials (CSO). The CSO is being held twice a year.
- Theme: Promoting a shared destiny and path to prosperity in Indian ocean
- The meeting focused on growth, sustained development and economic cooperation in the IORA region
- The IORA is a broad platform that connects the world’s most dynamic regions of south, west and south east Asia, Africa and Oceania through seas.
- India is the largest contributor to IORA Special Fund. Recently India contributed 1 million USD to the fund. India also shares expertise to strengthen the association
- India hosted the first Indian Ocea Dialogue in 2015. It was held at Kochi and the Kochi Consensus was released. It focused on maritime security challenges, information sharing, cooperation in disaster relief and economic cooperation.