Indian Railways Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Indian Railways has initiated process to launch the Terrain Imaging for Diesel Drivers- Infrared Enhanced Optical and Radar Assisted (Tri-NETRA) system to avoid train accidents.
The system will be installed on locomotives for enhancing the vision of Locomotive Pilots in inclement weather.
Key Features of Tri-NETRA system
- The device uses infrared and radar technology to collect signals up to a distance of 2-3 km and displays the information (composite video image) on a screen fitted inside the locomotive.
- The Tri-Netra will alert the drivers of any physical obstruction on railway tracks ahead and thus give ample time for the driver to apply the brakes to prevent train accidents.
- It will be very useful during fog, heavy rain and nights, when drivers have to constantly look outside the locomotive to judge the condition.
- Three components of the system: It is made of high sensitivity infra-red video camera, high-resolution optical video camera and a radar-based terrain mapping system. These three components shall act as three eyes (Tri-Netra) of the Locomotive Pilot.
- The concept of TRI-NETRA was developed by Development Cell under the guidance of Member Mechanical, Railway Board.
- Specifications and design of critical components of the system will be approved by the Research Designs & Standards Organisation, the railways research arm.
- TRI-NETRA system is based on technology employed by fighter aircrafts to see through clouds and operate in pitch darkness.
- It is also based technology used by naval ships in mapping the ocean floor and navigating in the night.
The Union Railway Ministry has launched a project to install Solar Panels in all Railway Buildings in order to reduce expenditure on electricity
As part of the project, Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu laid the foundation stone of one Megawatt (MW) solar power plant at Amritsar Railway station in Punjab.
- The power plant at Amritsar Railway station will be set up with a cost of 8 crore Rupees. It will annually produce 14 lakh units of power. It will save 1.40 crore Rupees for railway.
- The Union Railway Ministry is going to install such Solar Panels for harnessing free solar energy in all the Railway Building across the nation.
- Besides, Union Government is also focusing to produce solar energy from waste materials. This will help to reduce Railways expenditure.
Besides launching the solar power plant project, Union Railway Minister also announced to launch high-speed train service between Amritsar and New Delhi. It will be initiated following the successful trial run of Spanish-made Talgo, which became the fastest train in the country by clocking a speed of 180 km/hr.