Indian sprinter Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Dutee Chand, the Indian sprinter won gold medal in women’s 100m in World Universiade, 30th Summer University Games held in Naples, Italy. With this win she became 1st Indian woman to do so.
The 23-year-old Indian athlete clocked 11.32 seconds to win gold as she led the race from start to finish.
She became 1st Indian woman track and field athlete to clinch a gold medal in World Universiade after winning this 100m dash event held in Napoli, Italy.
Del Ponte (11.33 seconds) of Switzerland won silver
Lisa KwaYie (11.39 seconds) of Germany won bronze
About Dutee Chand
- She is a student at Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, a deemed university in Bhubaneswar in Odisha. Her 100m national record stands at 11.24 seconds.
- She became the first Indian to win a 100m gold in a global event.
- She has now become only 2nd Indian sprinter to win gold in a global event after Hima Das. Das won top spot in 400m in World Junior Athletics Championships in 2018.
- She won silver each in 100m and 200m in 2018 Asian Games.
- She is also only 2nd Indian track and field athlete to win gold in World Universiade. Earlier, Inderjeet Singh had won top spot in men’s shot put event in 2015 edition.
- She is yet to qualify for World Championships to be held in Doha in September-October 2019.
- She is also one of few athletes in world to openly admit being in a same-sex relationship in May 2019.