Indira Gandhi Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has been chosen for the prestigious 2015 Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development.
The prestigious award has been bestowed on office of UNHCR in recognition of its
- Immense contributions in assisting millions of refugees in their rehabilitation and resettlement.
- For working under difficult circumstances to bring about changes in order to reduce the flow of refugees.
UN Refugee Agency was chosen for this edition of award by the international jury of the prize, headed by Vice President Hamid Ansari. It was declared on the occasion of 98th birth anniversary of India’s Iron Lady Indira Gandhi who was first women Prime Minister of India (in office from 1966–1977 and 1980–1984).
About United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- UNHCR is a United Nations agency mandated to protect and support refugees. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group.
- Established: December 14, 1950.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- Initially it was established to help people displaced by World War II. But later it became the principal agency that has helped displaced persons all over world.
- Mission: Safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. Seek lasting solutions to the plights of refugees.
- Awards: It has won two Nobel Peace Prizes, first in 1954 and second in 1981.
About Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development
- Since 1986, the prestigious award accorded annually by Indira Gandhi Trust.
- Awarded to: Individuals or organizations in recognition of their creative efforts towards promoting international peace, development.
- It is also bestowed upon them for creating new international economic order and ensuring that scientific discoveries are used for the larger good of humanity and enlarging the scope of freedom.
- Award carries: The prize consists of monetary award of 25 lakh and a citation.
- Some of the awardees: UNICEF (1989), Rajiv Gandhi (1991), M S Swaminathan (1999), Kofi Annan (2003), Angel Merkel (2013) and Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) (2014) .
Famous lyricist, poet and film director, Gulzar has been conferred with the Indira Gandhi National Integration Award. The award was given to mark the 28th death anniversary of the late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
Tags: 2012 • Aandhi • Assassination of Indira Gandhi • Current Affairs 2012 • Finance Ministers of India • Gandhi • India • Indian films • Indian Hindus • Indian people • Indira • Indira Gandhi • Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration • Nehru?Gandhi family • November 2012