Renowned Indologist Professor David Shulman has been selected for the prestigious Israel Prize for his breakthrough studies in fields like philosophy and religion.
He was chosen for this award for his studies on the religion, literature and culture of southern India and has command over Indian languages like Sanskrit, Tamil, Telegu and Malayalam.
About David Shulman
- He is US born professor currently teaching Hebrew language at University of Jerusalem.
- As a professor, he has made an important contribution to research management and teaching in Israeli universities.
- He had founded the field of India studies in Israel and most of India researchers in Israel are his students.
- Through his books and translations, he has introduced the field of India studies to Israeli academia and the general public.
- He is a member of the American Academy of Sciences, Israel Academy of Sciences.
- He has been awarded with Emet Prize by the Isreali Prime Minister’s Office for excellence in academic and professional achievements.
- In 1987, he had won prestigious MacArthur Fellowship becoming 1st Israeli to win it.
About Israel Prize
- The award is considered as Israel’s highest honour presented annually on Independence Day (May 14).
- It is bestowed upon persons who have displayed excellence in their fields or have contributed strongly to Israeli culture or the State.