Industry Current Affairs
India has been ranked 76th out of 168 countries in the recently released 2015 Corruption Perception Index (CPI).
The 2015 CPI was the 21st edition of the annual index and was published by the Berlin-based corruption watchdog Transparency International (TI).
- In this edition, India has scored 38 on a scale from 0 (most corrupt) to 100 (least corrupt). This score is same as 2014 edition indicating that country is showing lack of improvement.
- India has improved in its ranking compared to earlier position of 85 and 94 in 2014 and 2013, respectively.
- Top 5 Countries: Denmark (score 91), Finland (score 90), Sweden (89 score), New Zealand, Netherlands (87 score) and Norway (87 score).
- Bottom 5 Countries: Angola (rank 163), South Sudan (rank 163), Sudan (rank 165), Afghanistan (rank 166), North Korea (rank 167) and Somalia (rank 167).
- BRICS Countries: South Africa (rank 61), India (76), Brazil (rank 76), China (rank 83) and Russia (rank 119).
- SAARC Countries: Bhutan (rank 27), India (rank 76), Sri Lanka (rank 83), Pakistan (rank 117), Nepal (rank 130) and Bangladesh (rank 139) and Afghanistan (rank 166).
Since 2012, the CPI methodology has been updated to provide for year-over-year precise comparisons. The watchdog uses data to compile the perceptions of the scale of public sector corruption from international institutions like World Bank, the African Development Bank and business school IMD etc.
Sumit Mazumder was elected as the President of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for the year 2015-16. He is Chairman & Managing Director (MD) of TIL Limited.
He will succeed Ajay Shriram, Chairman of DCM Shriram Consolidated Ltd.
Moreover, Shobana Kamineni was elected as Vice-President of CII for the year 2015-16. Presently, she is Executive Vice-Chairperson of Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Limited (AHEL).
Dr Naushad Forbes is the President-designate of CII for the year 2015-16. He is Director of Forbes Marshall.
About Sumit Mazumder
- Mazumder is a graduate of St Xavier’s College, Calcutta and holds MBA from Sam Houston State University, US.
- He also has undertaken the Advanced Management Program at Harvard University, Massachusetts, USA.
- At present he is also the Executive Chairman of TIPL (Tractors India Pvt. Ltd.), distributor Company for Caterpillar.
- In the past years, Mazumder was an active member of CII and had chaired its various Committees and Councils.
- He also had served as President of the Bengal Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Director on the Board of West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation (WBIDC).