INS Tarmugli Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India Navy has commissioned INS Tillanchang at Karwar, Karnataka. It is a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC)
It is the third ship of four follow-on WJFAC built by the Kolkata based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE). The first two ships INS Tarmugli and INS Tihayu which were commissioned in 2016.
These ships will play a vital role in light of India’s security environment. They are designed to take on both conventional and asymmetric threats.
- NS Tillanchang has been indigenously designed and built and is an upgrade from the Chetlat class of Fast Attack Craft (FCA).
- It is about 50 m long and powered by three waterjet propulsion system, which give it speeds of over 35 knots.
- It is armed with a 30 mm main gun and a number of light, medium and heavy machine guns to undertake operations at sea.
- It will be used for missions like Coastal and Off-shore Surveillance, Law Enforcement, EEZ Control as well as non-military missions such as Search and Rescue, Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR).
- INS Tillanchang will be based at Karwar under the operational control of the Flag Officer Commanding, Karnataka Naval Area. It is manned by 50 personnel.
The Indian Navy has commissioned indigenously built highly maneuverable Fast Attack Craft INS Tarmugli at the commissioning ceremony held in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
INS Tarmugli will be based in Visakhapatnam under the Naval Officer-in-Charge (Andhra Pradesh). It would be deployed for coastal patrol and surveillance operations along the East Coast of India.
- INS Tarmugli is indigenously conceived, designed and built by M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE).
- It is the first Follow-on Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC) and is an improved version of WJFAC, earlier constructed by GRSE.
- The ship is named after a picturesque Tarmugli island located in the Andaman group.
- Features: INS Tarmugli weighs 320-tonne and is 48 meters in length. It can achieve speeds in excess of 30 knots.
- It is fitted with advanced MTU engines, water jet propulsion and the latest communication equipment.
- Ship’s Crew: It is manned by a team comprising four officers and 41 sailors with one Commanding Officer.
- Ship’s Main Role: Built for extended coastal and offshore surveillance and patrol the warship. It is capable of operating in shallow waters at high speeds and is equipped with enhanced fire power.
- Ships armament: It is equipped with of a 30 mm CRN 91 gun, an electronic day-night fire control system namely Stabilised Optronic Pedestal (SOP), two 12.7 mm heavy machine guns (HMG) and multiple medium machine guns and shoulder-launched Igla surface-to-air missiles to combat aerial threats.