INS Tihayu Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India Navy has commissioned INS Tillanchang at Karwar, Karnataka. It is a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC)
It is the third ship of four follow-on WJFAC built by the Kolkata based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE). The first two ships INS Tarmugli and INS Tihayu which were commissioned in 2016.
These ships will play a vital role in light of India’s security environment. They are designed to take on both conventional and asymmetric threats.
- NS Tillanchang has been indigenously designed and built and is an upgrade from the Chetlat class of Fast Attack Craft (FCA).
- It is about 50 m long and powered by three waterjet propulsion system, which give it speeds of over 35 knots.
- It is armed with a 30 mm main gun and a number of light, medium and heavy machine guns to undertake operations at sea.
- It will be used for missions like Coastal and Off-shore Surveillance, Law Enforcement, EEZ Control as well as non-military missions such as Search and Rescue, Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR).
- INS Tillanchang will be based at Karwar under the operational control of the Flag Officer Commanding, Karnataka Naval Area. It is manned by 50 personnel.
Indian Navy has commissioned INS Tihayu, a Car Nicobar Class water jet fast attack craft (WJFAC).
It was commissioned by the Flag-Officer-Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command Vice-Admiral H.C.S. Bisht in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
About INS Tahiyu
- INS Tahiyu is the sixth WJFAC Car Nicobar Class vessel to be commissioned and allotted to the Eastern Fleet of the Indian Navy.
- It has been built by Kolkata-based shipyard Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE). Overall, INS Tahiyu is the 20th vessel in this class to be built by the shipyard.
- INS Tahiyu weighs 315-tonne and can achieve a top operating speed of 35 knots per hour. It is an improved version of the earlier vessels.
- It has been fitted with three water jet propulsion systems, powered by marine diesel engines generating 2720 KW of power.
- It also has been loaded with an indigenously-built 30 mm CRN gun, an assorted variant of machine guns and shoulder-launched IGLA surface to air missile.
What are Car Nicobar Class WJFACs?
- The Car Nicobar class water jet fast attack crafts are high-speed offshore patrol vessels built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) for the Indian Navy.
- The class and its vessels are named after Car Nicobar island part of Andaman and Nicobar They are the first water jet propelled vessels of the Indian Navy.
- The vessels are designed by GRSE as a cost-effective platform for patrol, anti-piracy and rescue operations in India’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).