Interantional Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone-laying ceremony for construction of first traditional Hindu temple in Al Wathba, Abu Dhabi, the capital city of United Arab Emirates (UAE). The UAE government had allocated land for the temple during PM Modi’s first visit to the gulf country in 2015.
It will be the first traditional Hindu stone temple in the Middle East. The temple design and structure is along the lines of the Akshardham temple in Delhi and other places. It will come up on 55,000 square metres of land. It will include idols of Lord Krishna, Lord Maheshwara, Lord Ayyappa and more.
It will incorporate all aspects and features of a traditional Hindu temple as part of fully functional, social, cultural and spiritual complex. It will be hand-carved by Indian temple artisans and assembled in UAE. It will also feature a garden and a water-front. It will be completed by 2020 and open to people of all religious backgrounds.
India ranked at 122 out of 155 countries in the World Happiness Report 2017 published by the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network on the eve of International Day of Happiness (20 March).
The rankings are based factors such as inequality, life expectancy, GDP per capita, public trust (i.e. a lack of corruption in government and business), and social support. Together they are used to generate a happiness score of country on a scale from 1 to 10.This year it is fifth such report since the first was published in 2012.
Key Highlights of report
- 10 Happiest Countries: Norway (1), Denmark (2), Iceland (3), Switzerland (4), Finland (5), Netherlands (6), Canada (7), New Zealand (8), Australia (9) and Sweden (10).
- 5 Saddest Countries: Rwanda (151), Syria (152), Tanzania (153), Burundi (154) and Central African Republic (155).
- The entire top ten were wealthier developed nations. But the report mentioned that money is not the only ingredient in the recipe for happiness. Countries in sub-Saharan Africa and those hit by conflict were ranked lower.
- India was placed behind the majority of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) nations, apart from war-ravaged Afghanistan (141). In the previous edition of the report, India ranked 118.
- Eight SAARC nations: Pakistan (80), Nepal (99), Bhutan (97), Bangladesh (110) and Sri Lanka (120). Maldives did not figure in the report.
- BRICS Countries: Brazil (17), Russia (56), China (79), South Africa (116) and India (122).