Internaitional Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
China launched world’s first fully electric cargo ship in Guangzhou, capital city of Guangdong province. It is the first ship in the world to use lithium ion battery. The ship will be mainly used to run in inland section of Pearl River for carrying coal for generation of electric power.
The 2000-metric-ton ship was manufactured by the Guangzhou Shipyard International Company Ltd. It is 70.5 meters long and is powered by 26-tonne lithium battery. It has battery energy of about 2400 kilowatt (kw) hours which is same energy of 40 new energy cars. It can run 80 kilometers after being charged for two hours. Its highest speed is 12.8 kilometers per hour. This all-electric ship will help in reducing shipping costs for electric power operators. The main cost of this ship depends on how much lithium battery it is equipped with. As the ship does not use fossil fuels, it has zero emission, including carbon, sulphur and PM2.5 which will help to protect water quality and marine life. It can be used as passenger liner or a working ship.
English has been ranked first in the top 10 most powerful languages in the world according to the 2016 World Power Language Index (PLI).
The index was published by World Economic Forum (WEF). Indian language Hindi was ranked 10th in the 2016 PLI.
- According to the index there are over 6,000 languages spoken in the world. Of these 2,000 count fewer than 1,000 speakers.
- Moreover, just 15 languages account for half of the languages spoken in the world. English is dominant language of 3 G7 nations (USA, UK and Canada).
- Top 10 Languages in 2016 PLI: English (1st), Mandarin (2nd), French (3rd), Spanish (4th), Arabic (5th), Russian (6th), German (7th), Japanese (8th), Portuguese (9th) and Hindi (10th).
- The top six languages are official languages of the United Nations. The remaining 4 in the top 10 include two other BRIC languages (Portuguese and Hindi) and 2 of the economic heavyweights (Germany and Japan).
- Hindi is most primarily language spoken in India with a share of 41%. It is also the official language of Indian government.
About World Power Language Index (PLI)
- The World Power Language Index (PLI) compares or ranks languages on their efficacy in the various domains.
- It uses 20 indicators to measure the influence on language. It measures the usefulness of a language to a representative human being.
- It is not meant to apply to any particular person with their own set of conditions, preferences and geography.
- It does not measure of the beauty or merit of a language or its associated cultures.