International Day for Biological Diversity 2019 Current Affairs - 2020
The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) was observed on 22 May 2019. The day is celebrated every year to increase understanding and awareness about biodiversity issues.
About International Day for Biological Diversity
- Background: The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) was first created by Second Committee of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in late 1993. It designated 29 December, the date when Convention of Biological Diversity entered into force as The International Day for Biological Diversity. Then in 20 December 2000, UNGA adopted its resolution 55/201 and proclaimed 22 May as IDB, to commemorate adoption of text of the Convention by Nairobi Final Act of ‘Conference for Adoption of Agreed Text of Convention on Biological Diversity’ on 22 May 1992.
- The Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD): is a multilateral treaty and international legal instrument for “the conservation of biological diversity” which has been ratified by 196 nations.
About IBD 2019
- For celebration of IBD 2019 the UN Biodiversity Convention partnered with Slow Food International. This partnership focuses on biodiversity as foundation of our health and food systems.
- 2019’s IBD celebration focuses on biodiversity as foundation for our food and health.
- Theme: for IBD 2019 was “Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health“. It seeks to raise awareness about interconnectedness of our health and food systems with biodiversity. It also celebrates the most tangible aspects of biological and cultural diversity, which are ‘Nature and Cultures’, through our food and health systems.
- Worry: The global diet as a whole (what people actually eat globally) is becoming more homogenized (similar and integrated), and this is a dangerous thing.
- In the last 100 years, over 90% of crop varieties have disappeared from farmers’ fields. Thus, locally-varied food production systems are under severe threat which includes related local, indigenous and traditional knowledge.
About Slow Food International
It is a global network of local communities which was founded in 1989. It work towards preventing disappearance of local traditions, local food cultures and counteract the rise of fast food culture.
Tags: Conference for Adoption of Agreed Text of Convention on Biological Diversity • IBD 2019 • International Day for Biological Diversity • International Day for Biological Diversity 2019 • Nairobi Final Act