International Groupings Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
PM Modi will embark a three-day visit to Thailand to participate in the ASEAN, East Asia and RCEP summits. In 2018, India had hosted the Indo-ASEAN summit commemorating its 25th anniversary, where all the 10 ASEAN leaders participated. Later the Delhi Declaration was adopted where the leaders agreed to further strengthen and deepen ASEAN-India strategic partnership.
- The Prime Minister is to co-chair the summit on the first day
- He will release a commemorative coin marking the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev
- He will also release the Thai translation of classic Tirukkural
- PM will also co-chair the ASEAN-India summit along with Thailand PM Prayut Chan-o-cha
Highlights: East Asia Summit
- The theme of the East Asia summit was chosen by Thailand and the theme is “Advancing Partnerships for sustainability”. In September 2019, India co-hosted the India-ASEAN workshop on the theme “Sustainable use of marine resources”
- This year, in 2019, the 14th East Asia summit is to focus on reviewing the future direction of East Asia cooperation and exchange views on regional and international issues
- The leaders of RCEP will discuss and review the state of negotiations that are ongoing in Bangkok.
Tags: ASEAN • bilateral agreement • East Asia Summit • India-ASEAN • India-Thailand
The fifth edition of ‘Heart of Asia’ conference, an annual regional gathering of Asian and other countries commenced in Islamabad Pakistan.
Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani jointly inaugurated the ministerial-level meeting.
- Theme of the meeting: ‘Heart of Asia-Istanbul Process: Enhanced cooperation for countering security threats and promoting connectivity in the Heart of Asia region.’
- Focus of the two day conference: To increase cooperation for countering security threats and promotion of connectivity in the region.
- It is jointly hosted by Pakistan and Afghanistan and would be attended by the high-ranking delegations from 14 participating states, 17 supporting countries and 12 international and regional organisations. From India, the Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj is attending the meeting.
- Six key areas: The 14 participating states are pursuing confidence-building measures in 6 key areas including counter-terrorism, counter-narcotics, disaster management, education, trade and investment and regional infrastructure.
About Heart of Asia conference
- Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process was established 2011 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Seeks to provide a platform to deal common regional issues particularly encouraging security along with political and economic cooperation among Afghanistan and its neighbours facing problems of terrorism, extremism and poverty.
- 14 Member states: Pakistan, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, China, India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan and UAE.
Tags: Aghanistan • Current Affairs - 2017 • Current Affairs 2016 • Heart of Asia Conference • International Groupings