International North-South Transport Corridor Current Affairs - 2020
The External Affairs Minister of India Shri S Jai Shankar is to hold a joint virtual conference with his Russian and Chinese Counterparts on June 22, 2020.
The Minister is expected to discuss the recent standoff between Indian and Chinese militaries at the border. The meeting is being convened with the initiative of Russia. The countries will also discuss regional issues and synchronize their views on regional stability.
India and China have been engaged in a bitter stand off along the Line of Actual Control at the eastern Ladakh for more than 5 weeks. The countries are holding diplomatic and military level talks to resolve the dispute.
Russia is expected to expand the discussion on SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization), Russia-India-China trilateral forum and BRICS. The leaders are also expected to discuss withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan.
The meeting of the RIC (Russia India and China) foreign ministers will also include discussions of the connectivity projects in the 7,200 km long INSTC (International North South Transport Corridor).
The INSTC links Afghanistan, Iran and Central Asia with Europe.
Tags: Border Issues • BRICS • India-China Border • India-China border dispute • International North-South Transport Corridor
India and Russia signed 14 Memorandum of Understandings at the India-Russia Industrial Conference held at DefExpo 2020, Lucknow. The Agreements were signed under Make in India initiative.
The countries signed agreements related to ASW rocket launchers, T-72, radar systems, 3D modeling, T-90.
The Defence ties of India and Russia has been strong. The countries have also established defence ties through multilateral orgnizations.
India-Russia at multilateral organizations
- The National Security Advisor attended the BRICS Foreign Ministers meet in June 2019. He met President Putin, the Russian President on the sidelines of the meet to strengthen defence ties between the countries
- At the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization), India participated at the fifth edition of the biennial joint military counter terrorist command for the first time in August 2018.
- Russia has been one of the long-standing supporters of India’s membership at the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- Russia welcomes One Belt One Road initiative of China.
- Russia also welcomes the International North-South Transport Corridor that was held in March 2019. It is a 7,2000 km long international multi-node rail, road and ship route between Europe and Central Asia. It includes India, Russia, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Europe.