International North-South Transport Corridor Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India and Russia signed 14 Memorandum of Understandings at the India-Russia Industrial Conference held at DefExpo 2020, Lucknow. The Agreements were signed under Make in India initiative.
The countries signed agreements related to ASW rocket launchers, T-72, radar systems, 3D modeling, T-90.
The Defence ties of India and Russia has been strong. The countries have also established defence ties through multilateral orgnizations.
India-Russia at multilateral organizations
- The National Security Advisor attended the BRICS Foreign Ministers meet in June 2019. He met President Putin, the Russian President on the sidelines of the meet to strengthen defence ties between the countries
- At the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization), India participated at the fifth edition of the biennial joint military counter terrorist command for the first time in August 2018.
- Russia has been one of the long-standing supporters of India’s membership at the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- Russia welcomes One Belt One Road initiative of China.
- Russia also welcomes the International North-South Transport Corridor that was held in March 2019. It is a 7,2000 km long international multi-node rail, road and ship route between Europe and Central Asia. It includes India, Russia, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Europe.
Tags: BRI • BRICS • DefExpo India- 2020 • India-Russia • International North-South Transport Corridor
The first shipment under the United Nations ‘Transports Internationaux Routiers’ (TIR) convention arrived in India from Afghanistan through Chabahar Port of Iran.
What is Transports Internationaux Routiers’ Convention?
The Transports Internationaux Routiers is an international Convention aimed at harmonising the administrative formalities of international road transport.
The goods being moved through the TIR convention requires the goods to be outlined in a TIR carnet and sealed in load compartments. The customs officials only verify the carnet and check the seal without requiring physical checking of the contents. This enables shipments to pass through countries without being opened at borders.
Reciprocal recognition of customs controls is at the heart of the TIR Convention. The convention enables a facilitative and non-intrusive environment for multi-modal transport of goods through several countries. India had joined the TIR Convention in 2017.
Benefits of the Convention
- The convention acts as a strong catalyst for moving goods using the multi-modal transportation route like Chabahar and International North-South Transport (INSTC) Corridor.
- The convention offers a great opportunity for the landlocked countries by providing seamless border crossing facilitation and intermodal capabilities.
- The convention further aids in the implementation of the Trade facilitation agreement of the World Trade Organisation.
In India, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) has been appointed as the National Issuing & Guaranteeing Association.
Tags: Afghanistan • Chabahar Port • FICCI • INSTC • International North-South Transport Corridor