International Olympic Committee Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Noted sports promoter and founder chairperson of Reliance Foundation, Nita Ambani was elected as an individual member of International Olympic Committee (IOC).
With this, she becomes the first Indian woman to join the prestigious body which governs Olympic sports in the world.
- Nita Ambani is only current active individual member of the IOC from India and shall serve at the high-profile world body until she attains the age of 70.
- She was elected at the 129th IOC Session held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil after being nominated in June 2016 by the IOC Executive Board.
- Sir Dorabji Tata was the first Indian representative in the IOC while Raja Randhir Singh was a member from 2000-2014 and is currently honorary member of the IOC.
Nita Ambani spearheads all sports initiatives of Reliance Industries’, notably cricket, football, kabaddi, basketball, tennis and golf either through company, foundation or its joint ventures.
About International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- The IOC is the supreme authority of the Olympic Movement headquartered at Lausanne, Switzerland.
- It shepherds success through a wide range of programmes and projects. It acts as a catalyst for collaboration between all parties of the Olympic family.
- It ensures the regular celebration of the Olympic Games, supports all affiliated member organisations of the Olympic Movement and strongly encourages, by appropriate means, the promotion of the Olympic values.