IOA Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Narinder Batra, President of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) was elected as a member of International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Lausanne, Switzerland. He secured 58 votes out of 62 polled.
About Narinder Batra
He was elected to prestigious seat during the 134th IOC Session being held in Lausanne, Switzerland.
His election is linked to his function in a National Olympic Committee that is president of Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
Achievement: He now has a rare distinction of becoming a IOC member, while heading a National Olympic Committee as well as an international federation. He is also the 1st Indian to have this distinction. He has already become 1st Indian to head an international federation of an Olympic sport which is that of FIH (International Hockey Federation).
Indian IOC Members:
With Batra now being elected to IOC, the number of Indians who are currently active members of IOC will increase to two.
In 2016 Nita Ambani Chairperson of Reliance Foundation, was elected as an individual member of IOC. She is 1st Indian woman to be elected to prestigious seat.
Randhir Singh, Former IOA Secretary General has also served as a member of IOC from 2001 to 2014 and has been made an honorary member since then.
About International Olympic Committee
IOC is non-governmental sports organization that was founded on 23 June 1894 in Paris, France.
It is the supreme authority of Olympic Movement and is headquartered at Lausanne, Switzerland.
It acts as a catalyst for collaboration between all parties of the Olympic family and shepherds success through a wide range of programmes and projects.
It ensures regular celebration of Olympic Games, supports all affiliated member organisations of Olympic Movement and strongly encourages, promotion of Olympic values by appropriate means.
Tags: 34th IOC Session • Indian Olympic Association • International Olympic Committee • IOA • IOC
President Indian Olympic Association (IOA) N. Ramachandran was awarded the Olympic Order for his outstanding services to the Olympic movement.
The award was formally bestowed upon him by the President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach.
About Narayana Ramachandran
- He is an Indian squash administrator.
- Currently he serves as current President of WSF (World Squash Federation) since 2008.
- Since February 2014 he is serving the president of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
- He is the brother of the former Chairman of BCCI and ICC, N Srinivasan.
About Olympic Order Award
- Olympic Order Award is the highest award of the Olympic Movement. It is awarded in recognition of efforts worthy of merit in the cause of sport.
- It was established in May 1975 as a successor to the Olympic Certificate by the International Olympic Committee.
- The award is bestowed upon the recipient at the closing ceremony of each respective Olympic Games as per the tradition.