IPR Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Cabinet has approved the proposal to harmonise the classification systems for examination of trademark and design applications, in line with the systems, followed globally. As a step forward in this direction the cabinet gas approved India’s accession for the following agreements:
- Nice Agreement on the International classification of goods and services for the purposes of registration of marks.
- Vienna Agreement for setting up an International classification of the figurative elements of marks.
- Locarno Agreement for establishing an International classification for industrial designs.
Benefits of the Accession
- The accession will help the Intellectual Property Office in India to harmonise the classification systems for examination of trademark and design applications, in line with the classification systems, followed globally.
- The accession would give an opportunity to include Indian designs, figurative elements and goods in the international classification systems.
- The accession is expected to instil confidence in foreign investors in relation to the protection of IPs in India.
- The accession would facilitate in exercising rights in decision-making processes regarding review and revision of the classifications under the agreement.
The accession is part of the government’s commitment to strengthen the Indian Intellectual property regime.
Tags: Global Trademark System • Intellectual Property Rights • IPR • Locarno Agreement • Nice Agreement
Union Minister for Commerce and Industries Suresh Prabhu has launched the tutorial video on Intellectual Property Rights and the GI website.
Tutorial Video on IPR
- The tutorial video has been produced by the Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM), Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) in collaboration with Qualcomm.
- This tutorial video explains the fundamentals of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) such as Patents, Copyrights and Trademarks.
- India’s first Intellectual Property (IP) Mascot, IP Nani features in a series of short animated videos, to spread awareness about the importance of IPRs amongst children.
- The tutorial video can be can be used in schools without any external intervention from teachers or experts and will aid in reaching a large number of schools and students, thereby overcoming issues of bandwidth and limited resources.
Geographical Indication (GI) is a name or sign used on products which correspond to a specific geographical location or origin. Geographical Indication act as a certification that the product possesses certain qualities, is made according to traditional methods or enjoys a certain reputation, due to its geographical origin.
Website of Geographical Indication of India
Geographical Indications (GI) of India website showcases Indian GIs products, classified state wise as well as product category wise. The website with specific and comprehensive details of the geographical area, description of the product, uniqueness, history, product process/ processing in addition to enlisting GI authorized users will increase the visibility and marketability of GIs of India and hence help in their commercialization.