IRENA Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) has announced that in past one decade renewable energy targets have quadruple globally.
It was mentioned IRENA Renewable Energy Target Setting report which was released by IRENA Director-General Adnan Z. Amin on the side lines of IRENA’s 9th Council meeting in Dubai.
As per report, 164 countries have adopted at least one type of renewable energy target compared to 43 countries in 2005. All nations are adopting renewable energy targets to meet multiple objectives including energy security, environmental sustainability and socio-economic benefits.
Developing and emerging economies are leading nations to adopt of renewable energy targets, accounting for 131 out of the 164 countries. The majority of 150 countries have focused committed renewable energy targets on the electricity sector
The numbers of countries setting renewable targets for the heating and cooling sector have increased to 47 from 2 countries in 2005. Similarly, renewable transport targets have also has doubled to 59 countries from 27 countries in 2005.
About International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
- IRENA is an intergovernmental organization to promote adoption and sustainable use of renewable energy.
- It is a global hub for renewable energy cooperation and information exchange within its member nations.
- Founded: in 2009 and its statute entered into force on 8 July 2010.
- Headquarters: Abu Dhabi.
- Two governing structure: IRENA Assembly which takes decisions at macro level and gives policy guidance. IRENA Council is main governing body and is responsible for implementing various decisions of assembly.
- Members: In total it has 140 Members. India is one of the 33 Permanent and founder members of IRENA.