ISL Current Affairs
Chennaiyin FC has won the second edition of Indian Super League (ISL) Football tournament.
In the final played at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Goa, they defeated hosts Goa FC by 3-2 goals score.
Till the 87th minute of final match Goa was leading by 2-1 goals but the self goal from their keeper Laxmikant Kattimani in the 90th minute and Colombian Stiven Mendoza’s strike seconds later helped Chennai win the title.
Awards of 2015 ISL
- Golden boot Award: John Stiven Mendoza Valencia (Chennaiyin FC). Scored tournament’s highest scorer of 13 goals.
- Golden Glove Award: Apoula Edima Edel Bete (Chennaiyin FC).
- Muthoot Group Fair Play Award: Mumbai FC.
- Hero of the League award: John Stiven Mendoza Valencia (Chennaiyin FC).
About Chennaiyin FC
Chennaiyin FC is Chennai (Tamil Nadu) based ISL franchise. The franchise is owned by Indian cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Vita Dani and Bollywood actor Abhishek Bachchan.
About Indian Super League (ISL)
- The ISL football league was launched in 2013 to promote football in India on the lines of Indian Premier League and Twenty20 formats of Cricket.
- ISL’s mission is to make India a global football power and promote the game so that India qualifies for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
- It is supported by the AIFF (All India Football Federation). It uses a city based franchise system like IPL.
- Atletico de Kolkata had won the inaugural ISL football tournament in 2014.