ISSF World Cup Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian shooting ace Apurvi Chandela attained world number one position in women’s 10metres Air Rifle event. Anjum Moudgil also now holds world number two rank in 10metres Air Rifle after winning her mixed team gold at ISSF World Cup in Beijing, China.
Apurvi Singh Chandela
- She is an Indian sport shooter from Jaipur who competes in 10 metre air rifle event.
- She is among five Indian shooters who have already secured 2020 Olympics quotas for India.
- She held a world record score of 252.9 and clinched gold at International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup held at New Delhi in February 2019.
- She was a gold medallist at 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Game, UK and a bronze medal winner in next edition of Commonwealth at Gold Coast.
- She won a bronze medal in 10m mixed rifle event, in 2018 Asian Games held at Indonesia.
Tags: Air Rifle • Anjum Moudgil • Apurvi Singh Chandela • Asian Games • Commonwealth Game
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has suspended all discussions with India regarding hosting of global sporting events in the backdrop of denial of visas to the two Pakistani Shooters. The Pakistani shooters were supposed to participate in the 25m rapid fire pistol event in the ISSF World Cup.
Contents of the IOC statement
- IOC notes that the Indian government authorities have failed to grant an entry visa for the Pakistani delegation to participate in the ISSF World Cup which was a qualification competition for the Tokyo Olympic Games to be held in 2020.
- Keeping in mind the interests of other 500 athletes from 61 countries participating in other events of ISSF World Cup, the IOC has withdrawn the recognition of the 25m rapid fire pistol event and not the whole World Cup.
- Denial of visa for Pakistani shooters is against the Fundamental Principles of the Olympic Charter.
- As a result, IOC Executive Board has decided to suspend all discussions with India regarding the potential applications for hosting future sports and Olympic-related events until clear written guarantees are obtained from the Indian government to ensure the entry of all participants in compliance with the rules of the Olympic Charter
The tensions due to Pulwama Terrorist Attack and the alleged role of Pakistan based groups behind the attack has deteriorated the bilateral relations. This is having a spillover effect on the arena of sports. There are also demands for withdrawing the Indian team from the match against Pakistan in the cricket world cup.
Tags: Cricket World Cup 2019 • India • International Olympics Committee • IOC • ISSF World Cup