IUCN Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Minister for Jal Shakti inaugurated the International Workshop on Environment Flows.
- The Minister released the Guidance Document on Environment Flow Assessment. It is the first of its kind.
- The workshop aims at answering the following questions
- What is the overall aim for environment flows assessment in India?
- What are the long term and short-term goals to implement environment flows according to overall aims and targets?
- The workshop brings together the Indian and European experiences.
- National and International experts from Germany, UK, Africa, Bhutan, Poland, Netherlands and South Africa are participating in the workshop
According to the IUCN,
- Environmental flow is the water provided within the river, wetland or coastal zone to maintain ecosystems and their benefits.
- It is a tool for allocating water among multiple, competing uses in a river basin or watershed.
- The Environmental Flows provide the means for integrated management of river flows to meet the needs of the people, industry, agriculture, energy and ecosystems.
For instance, River Ganga
- Supports 400 million people
- It provides unique ecosystem to the India’s National Aquatic animal Gangetic Dolphins, turtles and gharials
Tags: Climate Change • Conservation • Environment flow • Gangetic dolphins • Global Warming
Denmark’s Inger Andersen recently took charge as the new Executive Director (ED) of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). She will hold the designation for period of 4-years.
About Inger Andersen
Inger is a Danish economist and environmentalist with over 30 years of experience in international development economics, environmental sustainability and policy-making. Now as ED of UNEP she brings to the role a passion for conservation and sustainable development.
Nomination: She was nominated for the ED post by United Nation’s Secretary-General (UNSG) Antonio Guterres and approved by UN General Assembly (UNGA) in February 2019.
Succeeded: She took over the charge from Joyce Msuya of Tanzania, who served as acting head of UNEP since late 2018. Msuya will now continue as Deputy Executive Director.
IUCN- She has served as Director General of International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) between January 2015 and May 2019.
World Bank– Before joining IUCN, she held various leadership roles at World Bank (WB) such as- served as WB’s Vice President of Middle East and North Africa (MENA), Vice President for Sustainable Development and Head of Consortium of International Agricultural Research Centers Fund Council (IARCFC).
Even before joining World Bank, she worked at the UN for over 12 years.
About UN Environment Programme
It was founded by Maurice Strong (UNEP’s 1st director) and was established as a result of United Nations Conference on Human Environment (or the Stockholm Conference) on 5 June 1972.
It is headquartered in Nairobi (capital of Kenya) and also has 6 regional offices and various country offices.
Function: It is a UN agency that provides leadership and encourages partnership in caring for environment and is also responsible for coordinating UN’s environmental activities, assisting developing countries in implementing environmentally sound policies and practices.