Ivan Mikoyan Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Russian aircraft designer and co-creator of the MiG-29 fighter jet Ivan Mikoyan passed away. He was 89.
He had the majority of his career as a leading engineer at the ‘MiG’ Aircraft Corporation’s design bureau, which was founded by his uncle Artyom Mikoyan.
About Ivan Mikoyan
- He was born on 1 September 1927 in the USSR (now Russia).
- He had graduated to become an aircraft engineer from a military aviation mechanics school and Zhukovsky Air Force Engineering Academy.
- After graduation, he started working in his uncle’s design bureau, first as the chief engineer, and later deputy chief designer.
- During his career, he took part in the development of the design of the MiG-21. Later he became an adviser of the Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG.
- For his work on the MiG-29, Mikoyan was twice awared the USSR State Prize state honour.
About MiG-29 fighter jet
- The Mikoyan MiG-29 (NATO reporting name: Fulcrum) is a twin-engine jet fighter aircraft. It was developed by the Mikoyan design bureau in the Soviet Union in 1970s.
- It was designed to counter new US fighters such as General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon and McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle. It had entered service with Soviet Air Force in 1982.
- To date, more than 1,600 MiG-29s of various modifications have been built. More than jets of the MiG-29s type have been exported by Russia to some 30 countries including India.