Jagdish Singh Khehar Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union government has appointed Jagdish Singh Khehar, a judge of the Supreme Court, as the new Executive Chairman of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
He succeeds Anil R. Dave who retired as Judge of Supreme Court after completing tenure of over six years.
About National Legal Services Authority (NALSA)
- NALSA provides for free legal aid to the poor and weaker sections of the society. It has been constituted under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987.
- Its aim is to ensure that opportunities for securing justice are not denied to any citizen by reasons of economic or other disabilities.
- NALSA also identifies specific categories of marginalised and excluded groups and formulates various schemes for implementation of legal service programmes.
- It provides services of free legal aid in civil and criminal matters for the poor and marginalised people who cannot afford the services of a lawyer in any court or tribunal.
- It also organises Lok Adalats for amicable settlement of disputes. It works in close coordination with various State Legal Services Authorities, District Legal Services Authorities and other agencies.