Jammu and Kashmir Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
TVSN Prasad committee has submitted its report to Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi. The committee was constituted to look into the alternatives to pellet guns.
In its reports, the committee does not agree complete removal of the pellet guns in the Kashmir Valley but suggests that it should be replaced with rubber, polymer and paper bullets.
- The pellet guns should be used in rarest of rare cases.
- Use of other non-lethal weapons for crowd control like chilli grenade shells.
- Use of Nonivamide or Pelargonic Acid Vanillyl Amide (PAVA) shells and other non-lethal ammunition like ‘stun lac cells’.
- Use of Long Range Acoustic Device (LARD) which creates a deafening noise to paralyse people could prove dangerous for old buildings in rural areas in downtown Srinagar.
- Tear gas shells should be made of plastic so that on being fired it may melts and cannot be picked up by the protestors. Change of the gas in tear gas shell to make it more effective.
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had constituted a seven-member expert committee headed by TVSN Prasad on use of pallet guns.
- It was constituted after the use of pellet guns had blinded and injured many protestors in Kashmir Valley protesting over killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in July 2016.
The Union Government has approved nearly 1,600 crore rupees for Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) under skill development initiative ‘Himayat’ programme.
Under it, youths from both rural and urban areas of J&K would be imparted with training in various job-intensive vocational courses over the next three years.
Youths enrolled for this scheme will be given training for six-months, nine-months and one year job-oriented courses. They will be trained in and outside the state. A provision has been also kept for foreign placements as well.
About Himayat Scheme
- Himayat is a placement linked skill development initiative for training and placement of 1 lakh youths from J&K in next 5 years. ‘Himayat’ is an Urdu word which means support.
- Vision: Empower the youth of J&K by providing employment opportunities through vocational training programs. Accelerate social and economic development in J&K.
- The scheme is part of the Skill Empowerment and Employment scheme of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
- The project envisions support J&K youths by providing them vocational training linked to placement in various sectors like ITeS, Sales and Customer Service and Hospitality etc.