Japan Current Affairs - 2020
C.N.R. Rao conferred with Japan’s highest civilian award ‘Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star’
Eminent scientist and Bharat Ratna awardee C.N.R. Rao was conferred with Japan’s highest civilian award the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star.
He was presented with the award by Japanese Ambassador to India, Takeshi Yagi for his outstanding contributions to science and Indo-Japanese science cooperation.
About C.N.R. Rao (Chintamani Nagesa Ramachandra Rao)
- N.R Rao is eminent scientist and world’s foremost solid state and materials chemists. He has worked mainly in solid-state and structural chemistry.
- He was first Indian scientist to reach the h-index of 100.
- He has authored of around 1600 research papers. He also has authored and edited 45 books.
- He is also an elected member of almost all scientific academies across the globe and had served as Chair of the Scientific Advisory Council to Prime Ministers of India.
- He is also the Honorary President of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advance Scientific Research, Bengaluru and a former Chair of the Japan-India Science Council.
- Awards: In 2014, he was awarded with India’s highest civilian award Bharat Ratna along with cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar.
- He has been bestowed with about 70 honorary doctorates and also has received the highest civilian award from several nations.
Note: h-index also called the Hirsch index or Hirsch number is a tool that measures the productivity and impact of the published work of a scientist or scholar.
Tags: awards • C.N.R. Rao • Current Affairs 2016 • Japan • Science and Technology
Tokyo based online recipe network Cookpad has acquired Cucumbertown, a Bengaluru-based social network for cooks and chefs for an undisclosed amount.
After this acquisition Cucumbertown will remain independent subsidiary under Cookpad.
By acquiring Cucumbertown, Cookpad has entered into Indian market that represents a market and culture that is rich in culinary heritage. It will also enable acquired company to scale to international markets and monetize.
Earlier in 2014, Cookpad had acquired numerous startups from various countries including English language app Allthecooks, Dapur Masak in Malay, Mis Recetas site in Spanish and NetSila from Lebanon.
Cucumbertown was funded in October 2012 by Cherian Thomas and Arun Prabhakar. Since then it had grown from a simple recipe-sharing network to a food blogging platform. Presently, it has its reach to more than 160 countries and has millions of users. The company had raised capital from Silicon Valley, Helion and Ludlow ventures. The start up company has two offices in the Bay Area and Bengaluru city in Karnataka.