Jawaharlal Nehru University Current Affairs - 2020
The two premier institutions, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and IIT Delhi inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in research, education and technology developments in science and other disciplines.
Key Highlights of MoU
MoU Objective: To recognise each other’s strengths and co-operate in research, education and technology developments in disciplines of science, engineering, management and social sciences.
As per JNU, the agreement will not only bring the two institutes together but will enormously benefit teaching, research and technology development of social and national importance.
The JNU and IIT Delhi collaboration will also facilitate access to each other’s libraries and central research facilities. This will further intensify joint research projects and other related academic activities.
JNU is committed towards working together with IIT Delhi in establishing joint ventures (JVs). These JVs will specially emphasise on disaster research and a comprehensive study of North Eastern regions of India as the research in these areas will generate much input for policies and governmental programmes. JNU has already established Special Centre for North Eastern Studies and a Special Centre for Disaster Research.
Tags: IIT Delhi • Jawaharlal Nehru University • Memorandum of Understanding • Research • Technology Development
Eminent historian and writer Romila Thapar has been elected as international member of American Philosophical Society (APS) at its Annual Spring Meeting.
About Romila Thapar
- She is Professor Emerita of history at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in New Delhi.
- She is renowned for her careful scholarship on emperor Aśoka, epigraphy of Mauryan period, and ground-breaking studies and multiple historiographies surrounding contested Hindu and Muslim history of Somnath.
- She not only embraced contemporary philosophical debates, producing a model of open-minded and inclusive history but also advanced both theory and practice of Indian historiography.
- Dr. Thapar was among 1,013 members elected to APS at its spring 2019 meeting. Her APS citation reads- ‘she is the greatest living historian of India’.
About American Philosophical Society
- It is the oldest learned society in United States (US).
- It was founded in 1743 by Benjamin Franklin (American polymath and one of Founding Fathers of US) for purpose of ‘promoting useful knowledge.’
- It provides a forum for free exchange of ideas while holding conviction that intellectual inquiry and critical thought are inherently in best interest of public.