Jim Yong Kim Current Affairs
Jim Yong Kim has been re-appointed as President of World Bank for a second five-year term beginning 1 July 2017.
He was unanimously chosen by the Executive Directors of the World Bank. He was the only candidate in a process.
About Jim Yong Kim
- Jim Yong Kim is a South Korean-American physician and anthropologist.
- He is the 12th President of the World Bank and for first time was appointed in 2012.
- He was a global health leader and was formerly the Chair of Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School.
- The Forbes Magazine had named him in its list of the world’s 50th most powerful in 2013.
About World Bank
- The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans to developing countries for capital programs.
- It comprises two institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), and the International Development Association (IDA).
- Formation: July 1944.
- Headquarters: Washington DC, United States.
- Motto: Working for a World Free of Poverty.
- Membership: 189 countries (IBRD), 173 countries (IDA)
- The World Bank is one of the five components of the World Bank Group, which is part of the United Nations system.