Jitu Rai Current Affairs
Ace Indian Shooter Jitu Rai has won the 2016 Champion of Champions pistol Award of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) for pistol shooting.
He won the award consisting cash prize of €5000 in the World Cup Final held in Bologna, Italy. In the 10 m Air Pistol Champions Trophy final Jitu Rail defeated Damir Mikec of Serbia by 29.6 to 28.3 points. Olympic champion Anna Korakaki finished third in this event.
10 m Air Pistol Champions Trophy
It was the mixed knock-out competition meant only for the medallists in the World Cup Final. In this event shooters are eliminated after the first four shots, one each after every successive shot. The last two compete on a three-shot format.
In the rifle event category, the honour went to Sergey Kamenskiy of Russia. He had defeated two-time Olympian Du Li of China by 31.7 to 31.6 points. London Olympics champion Yi Siling of China took the third place.
The Union Government bestows National Sports Awards every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports in India.
These awards include Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Dronacharya Award, Arjuna Award, Dhyan Chand Award, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy and Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar .
2016 Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- It is India’s highest sporting award given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
- Recipients are: PV Sindhu (Badminton), Sakshi Malik (Wrestling), Dipa Karmakar (Gymnastics) and Jitu Rai (Shooting).
2016 Dronacharya Award
- It bestowed upon coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious international sports events.
- Recipients are: Nagapuri Ramesh (Athletics),Sagar Mal Dhayal (Boxing), Raj Kumar Sharma (Cricket),Bishweshwar Nandi (Gymnastics), S. Pradeep Kumar (Swimming) and Mahabir Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Arjuna Award
- It is India’s second highest sporting award bestowed upon sportsperson for consistently outstanding performance for four years.
- Recipients are: Rajat Chauhan (Archery), Lalita Babar (Athletics),Sourav Kothari (Billiards & Snooker), Shiva Thapa (Boxing),Ajinkya Rahane (Cricket), Subrata Paul (Football), Rani (Hockey),Raghunath V.R. (Hockey), Gurpreet Singh (Shooting), Apurvi Chandela (Shooting), Soumyajit Ghosh (Table Tennis),Vinesh (Wrestling), Amit Kumar (Wrestling), Sandeep Singh Mann (Para-Athletics) and Virender Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Dhyan Chand Award
- It is bestowed upon sportspersons for life time contribution to sports development.
- Recipients are: Satti Geetha (Athletics), Sylvanus Dung Dung (Hockey) and Rajendra Pralhad Shelke (Rowing).
2015-16 Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy
- It is bestowed upon overall top performing university in inter-university tournaments.
- Recipient: Punjabi University, Patiala.