Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli of Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist-Leninist)-CPN-UML was elected as new Prime Minister of Nepal.
With this victory, he became first Prime Minister of Nepal under the newly adopted secular, republic and federal Constitution of Himalayan country. It was adopted in 20 September 2015.
In the election for PM post in Nepalese Parliament, Mr. Oli received 338 votes out of a total of 598. He had secured 39 votes more than the 299 votes needed to get elected as PM as per provisions of new constitution. His rival Sushil Koirala of Nepali Congress President on the other hand received 249 votes.
About Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli
- Born on 22 February 1952 in Terhathum District of Nepal. Commonly known as K P Oli.
- Earlier had served as Nepal’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs in the Girija Prasad Koirala-led interim government formed in 2006.
- He also had served as Minister for Home Affairs (MHA) in 1994 in the government led by the then UML Chairman Manmohan Adhikari.
- He was elected as member of the Parliament thrice in 1991, 1994 and 1999.
- He had started his political career in 1966 and was elected as the chairman of CPN-UML Party in July 2014.