Kailash Mansarovar Yatra Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
S Jaishankar, Union Minister of External Affairs flags off the first batch of pilgrims (yatris) from New Delhi, for this years’ Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.
The duration of pilgrimage is 24 days for each batch including 3 days in Delhi for preparatory work. The pilgrimage which started in 1981 now sees participation of thousands of devotees every year.
About Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
- The Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is undertaken by two routes, via-
- Lipulekh Pass in Uttarakhand– This route passes through a very mountainous area.
- Nathu La Pass in Sikkim– This route opened a few years ago in Sikkim is fully motorable. It requires minimum walking and therefore helps senior citizens who are unable to undertake arduous trekking, to participate in yatra.
- Itinerary: The Yatra involves a treacherous route that crosses territorial boundaries of India, Nepal and China. According to Yatra scheduled this year, 18 batches of 60 pilgrims each will trek across the Lipulekh pass in Uttarakhand and 10 batches consisting of 50 pilgrims each will go via the Nathula route to Sikkim.
- Importance: This pilgrimage plays an important step towards promoting people to people exchanges, strengthening friendship and understanding between India and China.
- Organised by:
- The yatra is organised with support from governments of Delhi, Uttarakhand and Sikkim and also with cooperation of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP). The Government of China also extended the support in organising the annual yatra.
- The logistical support and facilities for pilgrims in India is providea by Uttarakhands’ Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam (KMVN), Sikkim Tourism Development Corporation (STDC) and their associated organisations.
Tags: Indo Tibetan Border Police • Kailash Mansarovar Yatra • Kailash Mansarovar Yatra 2019 • Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam • Lipulekh Pass • Nathu La Pass • S Jaishankar • Sikkim • Sikkim Tourism Development Corporation • Union Minister of External Affairs • Uttarakhand