President Pranab Mukherjee launched a ‘100 Million for 100 Million’ Campaign at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The campaign was conceptualized by Nobel peace prize winner Kailash Satyarthi and was organized by the Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation.
- The campaign aims to mobilise 100 million youth and children for 100 million underprivileged children across the world.
- Its prime objective is to end child labour, child slavery, violence against children over the next 5 years.
- It also seeks to promote the right of every child to be safe, free, and educated.
- It will strive to inspire 100 million children to speak and act for the numerous other unfortunate children living in terrible conditions to build a child-friendly world.
Laureates and Leaders for Children Summit
- The launch of the campaign also brought curtains to the two-day ‘Laureates and Leaders for Children Summit’ held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- This summit had brought together collective leadership of around 25 Nobel laureates and leaders on a single platform for creating a child-friendly world.
- It even had channelized world leaders, thinkers, representatives of UN, award winning youth/child leaders and eminent persons from academia, business, cinema, sports and civil society.
Month:Current Affairs – December, 2016 Categories: India Current Affairs 2018
Tags: 100 Million for 100 Million Campaign • Child Labour • Events • Kailash Satyarthi • National • Pranab Mukherjee • President
Nobel Peace laureate Kailash Satyarthi has been selected for the prestigious 2015 Harvard Humanitarian of the Year Award.
He has been awarded this award in recognition for championing the cause of child reform and ending all forms of violence against children.
About Harvard Humanitarian of the Year Award.
- It is an annual award given by US based Harvard University.
- It recognise the works and deeds individuals who have improved the quality of lives and inspired people to greater heights.
- Some of the recipients of are Kofi Annan, Boutros Boutros-Ghali and Javier Perez etc.
About Kailash Satyarthi
- He is an adherent of Gandhian philosophy and as upheld Mahatma Gandhi’s practice of engaging and conducting peaceful protests against the exploitation of children for financial gain.
- He is the founder of the Bachpan Bachao Andolan (Save the Childhood Movement). Through his NGO, he campaigns for protection of child rights and to abolish illegal human trafficking.
- Satyarthi ss the eighth Nobel laureate from India. He had won Nobel Peace Prize in 2014 and shared it with Malala Yousafzai.
- He was at the forefront of driving few agendas Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) which were announced at United Nations SDG Summit in September 2015.
Month:Current Affairs – October, 2015 Categories: Awards Current Affairs 2018
Tags: awards • Current Affairs 2016 • Kailash Satyarthi • United States