Prominent film actor Kamal Haasan (61) has been selected by France for its prestigious Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres. It is also known as Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters.
He has been chosen for this prestigious award recognition of his high level artistic excellence and distinguished career achievements.
He will be the second Tamil actor to be chosen for this award after the legendary actor Sivaji Ganesan.
About Kamal Haasan
- Born on 7 November 1954 in Paramakudi in then Madras State. His birth name is Parthasarathy.
- He is film actor, director, screenwriter, producer, playback singer, choreographer, lyricist, philanthropist and dancer.
- He had made his film debut at age of four as a child artist in the film ‘Kalathur Kannamma’ (1959).
- His breakthrough as a lead actor was in the film Apoorva Raagangal (1975), in which he played a rebellious youth in love with an older woman.
- Awards and Honours: Till date, he has won four national awards, 19 Filmfare awards. He has been also honoured with Padmashree (1990) and Padmabhushan (2014).
About Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres
- The award is part of French Government’s premier award “the Legion of Honour.” It is aimed at honouring artists and writers of world repute.
- The other recipients of the Chevalier Order from India include actors Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai and Nandita Das.