Kamala Harris Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
California’s Attorney General Kamala Harris (51) created history by becoming the first India-American to win the US Senate (upper chamber) seat from the state.
She defeated fellow Democrat Loretta Sanchez from her own party. She will replace Barbara Boxer who had announced her retirement in 2014 after serving more than two decades in the Senate.
She is the sixth black individual to be elected to the US Senate. US President Barack Obama was the fifth black elected Senator. She is also the first black woman elected to the upper chamber in more than two decades.
About Kamala Harris
- Kamala Harris is an American politician, lawyer and member of the Democratic Party.
- She is the daughter of an Indian-American mother Dr. Shyamala Gopalan Harris and a Jamaican-American father Donald Harris.
- Since 2011, she has been serving as the Attorney General of California. She was elected California’s Attorney General for first time in 2010 and was re-elected in 2014.
- She had served as Managing Attorney of the Career Criminal Unit in the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office from 1998 to 2000.
- From 1990 to 1998, she had worked as a Deputy District Attorney in Alameda County, California.
- She had served as the Chief of the Community and Neighborhood Division in the office of San Francisco City Attorney from 2000 to 2003.