Karnataka [KPSC] Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Human Library, a concept which seeks to replace books with humans, was held in the City of Palaces, Mysuru, Karnataka. It was organized by international non-profit organization- Human Library for first time in Mysuru. The objective of this event was to break past long-standing prejudices and stereotypes by creating a safe framework for conservation by using a library analogy of lending people rather than books. It also intended to generate greater human cohesion across various social, religious and ethnic diversities. This event provides readers of human library opportunity to borrow Human Books and to engage in conversation with the books. It also helps them to acknowledge the need for a change in societal attitudes and encourage social reforms.
About Human Library
It is also known as The Human Library Organization. It is a registered international not for profit organization headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark. It aims at ensuring a global implementation of the Human Library as a learning platform. It was initially launched in the year 2000 and currently exists in more than 85 countries. In India, it is spread across various metropolitan cities including Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Bengaluru.
Tags: City of Palaces • Human Library • Human Library Organization • Karnataka [KPSC] • Mysuru
On November 18, 2019, India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a 91 million USD agreement to improve water security of Karnataka. The loan will help to modernize the Vijayanagara Channel irrigation systems and also to increase the efficiency of Krishna river basin.
Highlights of the project
- The Karnataka Government will strengthen the basin institutions for Integrated and Sustainable Water Resources Management Investment Programme.
- The Programme plans to modernize about 442 kilometers of main distributaries in the Vijayanagara Channel network.
- The programme has two project loans. It will help Karnataka water agencies to roll out efficient river basin management plans.
- The first project will modernize the irrigation system
- The second project will strengthen water governance
- The programme will help to save 1,700 million cubic metres that can be used on additional 160,000 hectares of farm land
- The project will establish 30 water user cooperative societies. This will strengthen irrigation canals of the farmers.
- It will help to improve efficiency of 84% of state’s total water use.
Asian Development Bank
The Bank is on the foot steps of achieving prosperous, resilient, sustainable and inclusive Asia and Pacific. Its goal is to eradicate poverty. In 2018 alone, the bank provided a loan of 21.8 billion USD funding several projects in the region