Kavalam Narayana Panicker Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Noted Malayalam theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passed away due age-related ailments in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 88.
He was dramatist, theatre director and poet. He had written over 26 Malayalam plays and had played a pioneering role in bringing idiom into Malayalam theatre.
About Kavalam Narayana Panicker
- Born on 28 April 1928 in Kavalam, Kerala. He had started his career as a lawyer in 1955 for six years but later devoted himself to art and literature.
- In his long career, he had written over 26 Malayalam plays. Many of these were adapted from classical Sanskrit drama and Shakespeare.
- His notable works include Madhyamavyayogam (1979), Kalidasa’s Vikramorvasiyam (1981), Shakuntalam (1982), Karnabharam (1984), Bhasa’s Uru Bhangam (1988), Swapnavasavadattam and Dootavakyam (1996).
- He also had directed two movies Parvati Viraham (1993) in Kuttiyattam form (a form of Sanskrit theatre) and Mani Madhava Chakyar: The Master at Work (1994).
- He is the founder-director of theatre troupe, Sopanam. He was nominated as Secretary of Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi in 1961.
- Awards and Honours: Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in Direction (1983), Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (2002), Padma Bhushan (2007).
- Erin B. Mee had directed his play Ottayan in New York City in 1993.