Kempegowda International Airport Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Skytrax World Airport Awards which lists the Best 100 Airports of the World was released by the UK-based Skytrax, a consultancy firm which runs an airline and airport review and ranking site. The accolade was awarded at the Passenger Terminal Expo 2019 in London.
Best Airports of World
- Singapore’s Changi Airport has been crowned the world’s best aviation hub for the seventh time in a row. Singapore Changi Airport is well known for its rooftop swimming pool, two 24-hour movie theatres and shopping spots.
- Tokyo International Airport (Haneda), up one place from 2018 stood at the second place. The airport hub also won accolade as World’s Best Domestic Airport and World’s Cleanest Airport.
- Incheon International Airport, down one place from its second-place spot in 2018 is the other entrant at number three. Incheon International Airport also won the accolade for World’s Best Transit Airport.
Indian Airports in the List
- Indira Gandhi International Airport of New Delhi was eight points up this year after featuring at the 66th spot in 2018 and stood at rank 59.
- Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport stood at 64, down one rank from the previous year.
- Rajiv Gandhi Hyderabad International Airport stood at 66, up 10 ranks.
- Bengaluru’s Kempegowda International Airport at 69, down five ranks.
The Skytrax World Airport Awards are based on votes of customers in a global airport customer satisfaction survey.
Tags: Bengaluru • Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport • Hyderabad • Incheon • Indira Gandhi International Airport • Kempegowda International Airport • London • Mumbai • New Delhi • Passenger Terminal Expo 2019 • Rajiv Gandhi International Airport • Singapore • Skytrax World Airport Awards • Skytrax World Airport Awards 2019 • Tokyo • World's Best Domestic Airport • World's Best Transit Airport • World's Cleanest Airport
Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) in Bengaluru, capital of Karnataka is set to become first airport in Asia to introduce face recognition based passage system technology from 2019. For this, Bengaluru International Airport Ltd. (BIAL), which operates KIA has signed agreement with Portuguese software firm Vision Box.
The face recognition based passage system will allow passengers to board flights and move across different sections of the airport using automatic biometric boarding procedure instead of manual boarding passes verification. In this case, face will serve as boarding pass. The first implementation milestone of this system at KIA will be completed in the first quarter of 2019, with Jet Airways, Air Asia and SpiceJet passengers as first users.
Benefits: Face recognition based passage system will simplify journey of air passengers by making it paperless from registration to boarding. Biometric technology will identify passengers by their face as they move across airport, avoiding stops and repeated presentation of boarding passes, passports or other physical identity documents. It will enable seamless journey fo passengers, without obstacles, waiting lines or hassles, from registration to boarding..
Significance: On complete implementation, this will be first end-to-end face recognition-based walk through experience in Asia and largest in the world. It is also one of the most significant steps towards Digital India campaign endorsed by Central Government.
Note: Voice Box had showcased its face recognition-based passage system for first time for Lufthansa passengers at kiosks at Los Angeles airport in US in March 2018. It had allowed Lufthansa passengers to use biometric boarding procedure instead of boarding passes.