KG Subramanyan Current Affairs
Renowned sculptor and painter KG Subramanyan passed away in Vadodara, Gujarat following a brief illness. He was 92.
He was multifaceted artist credited with being one of the pioneers of Indian modern art and was also a freedom fighter.
About K G Subramanyan
- Born in 1924 in Kerala. He was a socialist and Gandhian throughout his life.
- In his career as an artist spanning over six decades he had been a painter, sculptor, muralist and print maker besides an author of children’s books.
- He was renowned for his terracottas, outdoor murals and toys and also experimented with weaving.
- In the 1970s, he began experimenting with reverse painting. It was an 18th century craft tradition where a rtist paints on a sheet of glass and reverses glass to view the final image.
- He was also an art historian and his works forms a significant document of Indian art history.
- He was a professor at various times at Faculty of Fine Arts at MS University, Baroda and also in Kala Bhavan (Santiniketan) from where he retired in 1989.
- During freedom struggle he was actively involved and underwent imprisonment for a short period during the Quit India movement.
- Awards and Honours: Padma Vibhushan (2012), Padma Bhushan (2006) and Padma Shri (1975).