Khajuraho Temple Current Affairs
The 44th edition of Khajuraho Dance Festival 2018 was held at Khajuraho temple, a UNESCO world heritage site in Chhatarpur district, Madhya Pradesh. It was inaugurated by Madhya Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel and was organised by culture department of state government.
Khajuraho Dance Festival is annual cultural festival that highlights richness of various Indian classical dance styles. The 6-day festival showcased classical dances including Kathak, Odissi, Bharatnatyam, Kuchipudi, Kathakali and Mohiniattam. Art Mart, which is part of festival showcased paintings of international artists from Germany, France and China among other countries. During the festival, dances were performed in an open- air auditorium, in front of Vishwanatha Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and Chitragupta Temple dedicated to Sun God.
It is a group of Hindu and Jain Temples in Madhya Pradesh build by Chandela Dynasty between 950 and 1050 AD. They are UNESCO World heritage Site. The temples are famous for their nagara-style architectural symbolism and their erotic sculptures (about 10% of total sculptures).
The temples at Khajuraho are all made of Sandstone. The largest temple at Khajuraho is the Kandariya Mahadeva temple which is attributed to king Ganda. All the towers or shikhara of temple rise high, upward in curved pyramidal fashion, emphasizing temple’s vertical thrust ending in horizontal fluted disc called Amalaka topped with Kalasha or vase. The erotic expression of sculptures in these temples gives equal importance in human experience as a spiritual pursuit, and it is seen as a part of the larger cosmic whole.
The 2016 BRICS Convention on Tourism has begun at UNESCO World heritage site Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh to promote intra-regional tourism.
The two day convention was inaugurated by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Tourism and Culture. The convention has been organised as a precursor to the BRICS Summit to be held in Goa in October 2016.
- In this two day convention, delegates from the BRICS countries viz. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa are participating.
- It will consists of inter- Governmental exchange of views and ideas, panel discussions on technology, innovation in Tourism.
- Besides, it will primarily focus on cooperation between the BRICS countries for promoting intra-regional tourism.
- Besides, Business to Business (B2B) meetings between the India Travel Trade and their counterparts from the BRICS countries will also be organised.
- During the convention, elements of culture, handicrafts and cuisine from different regions of India will be showcased.
Khajuraho Temple: It is a group of Hindu and Jain Temples in Madhya Pradesh build by Chandela Dynasty between 950 and 1050 AD. It is an UNESCO World heritage Site.