Konkan Railway Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Multi Modal Logistics Park at Balli Station near Madgaon in Goa was recently inaugurated. The part is located on Konkan Railway route. It has been set as per MoU entered between Konkan Railway & Container Corporation of India Ltd (CONCOR). It will benefit trade and industry from economic transport solutions and state of art facilities.
The facility is initially spread over 81,300 square meters with scope for expansion with traffic growth in future. It can handle both domestic and exim container traffic. In addition, it can also handle commodities transported by both open and covered wagons. It has 5000 square meters of Custom Bonded Warehousing space. It will also provide host of value added services like stuffing, repackaging etc.
The park from its economic transport solutions and state of the art facilities will benefit both trade and industry in Goa. It will generate additional source of revenue for Konkan Railway. The container depot at park will reduce time required to cover distance between JNPT port (Mumbai) and Goa via road in 30-40 hrs from 16 to 18 hrs. Thus, it will save time, along with cost of transportation and relieve congestion on road and fuel.
Metro Man Elattuvalapil Sreedharan has been invited to the United Nations’ High Level Advisory Group on Sustainable Transport (HLAG-ST).
He has been invited by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to serve on his HLAG-ST for a period of three years. Mr. E Sreedharan has accepted this offer.
About Elattuvalapil Sreedharan
- Mr. E Sreedharan was born on 12 June 1932 in Palakkad district of Kerala.
- He is a retired Indian Engineering Service (IES) officer.
- Achievements: He is credited for changing the face of public transport in India. Under his leadership, Konkan Railway and the Delhi Metro projects were completed on time.
- He was given the sobriquet of Metro Man by the Indian media for his grand success in executing the completion of the Delhi Metro on time and with stipulated budget.
- Awards: He has been conferred with Padma Shri (2001), Padma Vibhushan (2008) and French Government’s Chevalier de la Légion d’honneur (2005)